Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Countdown to the Royal Wedding: 9 Days!

Yes, I am waking up at 4am Central Time next Friday (April 29) to watch coverage of Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding.  And yes, I'm very excited about it!

The only weddings that are televised here in the United States generally have to do with reality stars...uber-Christian reality stars, got-knocked-up-at-16-reality stars, this-romance-is-all-for-the-cameras-reality stars and the like.  For God's sake, the last wedding I came across on the tube was Jon & Kate Gosselin's.  Bleh.

My mom was about my age when Princess Diana and Prince Charles got married.  She was unemployed and without children and home alone all day while her husband (my dad) worked.  Sound familiar?  I know, we're the same person.  She used to tell me about the dress and all the people lining the street and how everyone in England was so happy and hopeful for a little while.

Of course, at the time we didn't know Prince Charles had spent the previous night tearing up the sheets with Camilla Parker-Bowles...but they're married now, so bygones.

When I was a kid, there were two women in the world I wanted to be like: my mother and Prince William's mother.  I've since learned that neither is or was perfect and perhaps not the greatest role model at all times, but I'm never going to lose that idea of carrying oneself like a princess no matter who or where you are.  My mom has always carried herself like a princess.  And Lord knows no one looked more regal with a landmine mask on than Diana.

T-Mobile just released this killer advertisement featuring the upcoming nuptials.  It's a parody of that wedding video where the bridesmaids and groomsmen came dancing down the aisle in a choreographed clamor a few years ago.

See if you can pick out the VIPs: Charles and Camilla, Princes William and Harry, Princess Anne (Charles' sister) and Prince Edward and his wife Sophie.  Enjoy!



LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment