Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Unprotected Sex? LOL!

Courtesy of http://www.hollybaby.com
You know what's funny?  When teenagers whose only claim to "fame" is being friends with another teenager (whose only claim to "fame" is an inability to use condoms) tweet they're pregnant too!  I honestly can't think of an announcement more deserving of an LOL!

I'm sorry, did any of my sarcasm drip on you?

Nineteen-year-old Megan Nelson, former roommate of Teen Mom 2's Chelsea Houska announced her pregnancy on Twitter with the gem: "No names yet and not 16 & pregnant lol im nineteen."

According to http://www.hollybaby.com, Nelson and her boyfriend of four months, some Air Force guy named Cody, are due in July (quick math kids...that places conception sometime in November, so I guess that's where the "boyfriend of four months" comes from) and the rumor is she's angling for a spot on MTV's Teen Mom 3.

You can read their whole article here.

My Husband and I continue to discuss the timing of our having our first baby...the financial aspects, the health issues and the possibility of his deployment sometime during pregnancy, birth or the baby's first year.  I've read everything I can get my hands on; I've considered every avenue.  What if the army relocates us?  What if it doesn't...should we buy a house here?  Should we try and time the pregnancy or should I throw my birth control away and leave it to Fate?  I'm telling you, this has been at the forefront of my mind for at least three months.

And here's this child having a baby with some dude she barely knows and it's all LOL, sparkly cell phones and Ed Hardy tees.

So am I wrong to judge?  Well, obviously it's wrong to judge but my halo's in the shop so I'm letting that one go.  It is hard for me to swallow the idea this girl...most Teen Mom girls, for that matter...are not facing the REAL consequences of such young motherhood.  They're actually being rewarded for it...I've heard two (Farrah and Maci) have used their MTV paychecks to get boob jobs.

I'm thinking about when I should start saving for college for a baby who does not even exist.

So you know who the real losers here are?  The kids.  These gorgeous little babies are watching their parents smack each other around (Teen Mom Amber), get high (Teen Mom Jenelle) and/or call each other heinous names (Teen Moms Chelsea and Kailyn). 

Wasn't the point of this program to show the "real" problems of a teenage pregnancy?  Shouldn't it have taken the route of MTV's True Life, where producers had to sit back while participant Unique discovered she couldn't use a friend's personal check to pay for her family's first groceries in a month (and had to tearfully leave the store empty-handed)?

Unique (True Life: I'm supporting My Family) became a single mom at 17 with the birth of her son Dominick and then the sole support for her 3 younger sisters when her mother committed suicide two years later.  She was also responsible for one sister's boyfriend and their own unborn child.

True Life graphically showed the family struggling to pay for necessities, Unique's customer service day job and her nights spent stripping for extra income, driving an ancient minivan to the Salvation Army or the Open Pantry for supplies and putting together good meals on a tiny budget.

She kept her family together and out of foster care with enormous sacrifice of self.  Blogger Leila wrote a nice summary of the episode here.

THAT'S real motherhood.  Celebrate that, MTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment