Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Dyeing" for a Wardrobe Change?

A few summers ago I bought an awesome halter top from Victoria’s Secret (if you don’t get the catalog, by all means sign up; their clothes are fabulous for all sizes and shapes!).  Unfortunately the only color they had left was a very pale, pale pink.
In case I haven’t mentioned it, I am a white girl.  And not the slightly exotic Greek or Lebanese or Spanish from Spain white.  Just plain pale white with a few freckles and nondescript blonde hair.  I’m also pretty obsessive about sunscreen so I’m basically the same shade all year round.
My improved halter top!
Anyway, I LOVE this top but I look totally naked in it.  So I was considering buying a new one, but the style is discontinued and the closest one I can find is $50.00.  In my research, I found http://www.ritdye.com/ where you can buy powder or liquid dye and change the color of some clothes (especially if you want to go from a light color to a darker one).
Plus, you can do it in your washing machine so you don’t have to slave over a steaming bucket of colored water and tint your arms violet to the elbow.  So far I’ve done my top and two dresses and I’m very pleased with the results.  I dyed the halter top in a scarlet red bath and it turned coral pink.  I dyed a light aqua strapless dress from J. Crew in a dark green bath and it’s now sea green.  I dyed a heather gray maxi dress black, turning it a smoky charcoal and it's so much more versatile now.
I didn’t use the full color packet so my colors are not as deep or dark as they could be.  But the process was very simple and I love the freedom of being able to buy any piece of natural fiber clothing that fits and flatters me no matter what color it is and spend $2.29 to tweak it.  This is going to be especially useful for J. Crew dresses, since I only buy those on sale and color selection goes down with the prices.
You can purchase Rit Dyes at most craft and fabric stores.  I’ve heard Wal-Mart sells them but I can never find them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment