Thursday, March 17, 2011

Express Yourself

I've noticed two things since moving here: 1): The Midwest LOVES its vanity license plates.  I've seen more in my year and a half here then I ever did on the East Coast. 

And 2): I've never been so entertained by businesses' outdoor signage.  You know, those big marquees with the movable letters that are outside fast food places and stuff?

The vanity plate thing here annoys me.  I mean, half the time the plate doesn't match the driver.  Excuse me, retiree with the Dodge Stratus?  I don't think WLDMAN is for you.  And to that lady who's so overweight the driver's side of her Prius is tipping?  I'd reconsider SXYMOM.  True stories.

But then again, perception may be half the battle.  One day I came across a beat up hunter green Jeep Grand Cherokee with the license plate HRSLVR.  And honestly, my first thought was "WHORE SLAVER?!  Why would anyone put that on their car?!"  Obviously this person means "Horse Lover," so maybe I just have too much imagination.

As for the business signage, I've never been disappointed.  Sure, you get your random "DQ BLIZZARD OF THE MONTH: REIGNDEER RUN!" but the homages to Leslie Nielson after he died and the pre-Thanksgiving break "GET YOUR OIL CHANGED HERE BEFORE YOUR DAD SEES IT!" totally make up for it.  I took a photo of an especially hilarious (if irreverent) sign outside a local bank:

Keep up the good work, local businesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment