Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Garden Woes

I like to garden.  Living in an apartment we don't have a yard, but I do have a number of potted plants and two window boxes courtesy of one of my brothers-in-law.  The summer/fall My Husband left, I planted a bunch of perennials, specifically herbs: echinacea, rosemary, mint, aloe, thyme, sage, etc.  I also had a pot of Labrador violets and one of evening primrose.

Our little balcony gets very little sun (we face north) and not very many of my plants made it through.  The summer My Husband returned I think I only had two or three left.  My aloe is still alive and thriving indoors...I cut back everything else for the winter and hoped for the best.

Spring is officially here and I'm facing another disappointment.  The bulbs I planted in September 2010 have yet to sprout.  No daffodils, no tulips, no nothing.  Not even a little stirring under the dirt.  It's already the end of March; even with the long winter we had, I feel like I should be seeing something.

What have a done wrong?  Is the lack of direct sunlight really that bad?  Or is it the excessively dry air?  Am I over-watering?  Under-watering?  If anyone out there has a gardening blog or any experience with potted plants, I'd love some advice, please.




IN MEMORIAM

The Oscars "In Memoriam" reel is going to have some very familiar faces on it next spring.  I was very sorry to hear about Elizabeth Taylor's passing.  I've always adored movies from the 1930s-1960s and she was certainly an icon of the times.  I'd also like to mention Jane Russell, who died on February 28.  Their talent and beauty will stay with us on screen forever.

Courtesy of http://missprints.net


Courtesy of Roger Moore's Blog at the Orlando Sentinel

No comments:

Post a Comment