Thursday, March 3, 2011

Papa Don't Preach


Courtesy of http://www.madisonavenuejournal.com/
 So Mr. Mike Huckabee visited radio host Mike Medved on his show March 3rd and proceeded to have an incredibly offensive conversation about single motherhood, something Huckabee and Medved (based on their mutual possession of a Y chromosome) undoubtedly have no firsthand knowledge of.  You can find the bulk of the conversation here.


Anyway, Mike & Mike spent some time lamenting how Natalie Portman "glamorized" having a baby out-of-wedlock when she thanked her soon-to-be-husband from the stage in her Oscar acceptance speech Sunday for giving her "my greatest role ever."  Huckabee said she sets a bad example, since she's minus a husband and has plenty of money for nannies and other such indulgences to help her care for her child.  Obviously he assumes highly impressionable females (Oh, poor lil' ole me!  I seem to be sufferin' from the vay-pehs.) will equate Portman's decades long career with the fact she's having a baby...with the man she's going to marry...at age 29. 

So I'll fight ranting with ranting.  Thank you for your insight, Mike Huckabee!  Before I heard your opinion, I honestly thought if I got knocked up by a dancer I'll automatically become a rich and famous actress and former child star!
Courtesy of http://www.celebuzz.com/

As if pinning a scarlet letter to Portman's Academy Awards dress is not enough, he said (I'll paraphrase) most single mothers are poor and uneducated and their numerous children are one welfare check away from starvation and typhus and dyslexia and communism.  But does he once mention MTV's extremely lucrative 16 and Pregnant or Teen Mom shows?  As My Husband wisely pointed out to me, these shows are much more likely to induce teens to conceive based on the hefty paychecks MTV shells out to the show's participants.

How about Ms. Bristol Palin?  Former governor Sarah Palin's daughter is one of the most famous American single mothers in recent history, but did her turn on Dancing with the Stars or her interviews with E! News about her new life in Arizona make it onto the radio rant as an inappropriate model of solo parenting?  Not so much.

If you'll allow me, I'll close with a little common sense.  I don't think ANY WOMAN in the history of humanity has ever considered raising a child alone to be a cakewalk.  I am sure there are women (and men, for that matter) who've used and abused their children and their place as parents for their own gain (uhh, Joe Jackson, anyone?). 

And as I've recently said: classy, educated and compassionate people like Natalie Portman (she financed a line of vegan shoes) are the people we want to be parents.  I hope she has ten kids and they all turn out like her.

Bottom line, Huckabee's comments about Portman (and the Oscars, for that matter) were completely judgemental and some of the least Christian words I've ever heard from a minister's mouth.



*As always, all photos in this blog are for illustrative purposes only and I am in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM profiting from their publication or claiming them as personal property.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment