Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It Takes a Village...but What Kind?

I take a hard line on a few things…probation violation, molestation, Welfare reform, drunk driving.  I think rape should be punishable by life in prison (I’ll probably blog about that some other time).  But for the most part, I’m socially liberal.
I also appreciate Christian values.  I was raised Christian (my father is Catholic and my mother is Lutheran) and I have a large number of family members who are Conservative Presbyterians.  So I know that someone can believe absolutely that being gay is a sin.  I don’t believe that, but I know some people gain a lot of comfort from seeing the world in a certain way and as long as they don’t hurt people with said view they should probably just be left alone.
However, there are practicalities to life that need to be addressed, no matter what one’s religious views are.  I think gay men and women should, in every corner of the world, be allowed to adopt children.  According to a recent UNICEF report, there are between 143 million and 210 million orphans worldwide.  That doesn’t count foster kids, who are not technically orphaned but cannot live with their biological parents.  In the United States, Florida and Missouri still have laws banning gay men from adopting.
So anti-gay adoption agencies (oh, they’re out there, people) are basically saying they’d rather kids grow up “in the system” than in loving, if slightly "atypical" homes.  And yet, there are gay couples out there who will do ANYTHING to adopt and are barred at every turn, EVEN WHEN THE CHILD SHARES A BIOLOGICAL LINK WITH ONE OF THE APPLICANTS.  Check out this story to see what I mean:
This precious little boy spent two years in limbo because of bureaucratic homophobia.  Madonna adopted a little boy WHO HAS A PARENT and it took her mere months.  Samuel is the biological son of a man who happens to be homosexual and all of a sudden it takes two years and tens of thousands of dollars to get him home?  I think THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WE WANT TO BE PARENTS.  These are the people we want raising our next generation.
Not this guy.  Or the stepmother of this little girl.  Or these two monsters who actually PASSED the adoption application process.
Come on humanity.  You’d rather your youth be tortured by “acceptable” parents than raised by people who’d do anything to bring them home?

No comments:

Post a Comment