Sunday, May 1, 2011

Post-Pill

So it's been about 30 days since I took myself off birth control in our first round of attempts to get pregnant.  According to everything I've charted in the months before this, I was due for my period on Friday the 22.  Since it's been a no show, My Husband and I decided to take a test and see if we are going to have a baby.

After a very busy day (including an FRG meeting, for which I am the new co-leader), we came home and I took a First Response (6 days before your missed period, it says!).  After three minutes of waiting, our microwave timer dinged and we took a look at the results.  Two pink lines: pregnant.  One pink line: not pregnant.

One pink line.  I am not pregnant.

Now, I didn't actually want to get pregnant in April.  Nine months from April is December, which would mean a child in the year 2011.  Even though 2012 is only a month away from then, for some reason I feel more comfortable with that timetable.

But still, it would have been a relief to know I could get pregnant.  I have no reason to suspect I'll have trouble conceiving...my mother, my aunt and both grandmothers had no problems.  I'm healthy, young, I have been taking my prenatals for months and my hips are pretty ridiculous.

And My Husband has been so sweet and excited about this.  He mentions being pregnant without any prodding, he's comfortable talking about our future son or daughter and asked me to take the pregnancy test when we were both home so he could know the results immediately.

So I'm slightly disappointed.  I don't think we have a good shot at conceiving in May since My Husband will be in the field Monday-Friday and only come home on weekends.  It may be good to give myself a few months to get my body back on track and figure out how my system reacts without the added hormones.

I wonder if every woman is just a little disappointed at a negative pregnancy test, even if it's the last thing you want in the world.  It makes sense that our brains would be hardwired to procreate.

So the adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment