Monday, May 16, 2011

Mother/Daughter Drama

Holden (older brother) called My Husband last night.

From what I assume is a half concerned/half passive-aggressive place, Holden gave My Husband a heads up about some recent drama between their mother and India (older sister) that involved us.

Apparently India didn't call their mother on Mother's Day last week.  When my mother-in-law called India the next day, she was miffed that India's husband Stuart (who the family pretty much hates) didn't talk to her on the phone as well.  When the two spoke again yesterday, they got into some kind of argument about how I sent pink lilies to my mother-in-law and made an effort to speak to her on Mother's Day and India didn't do a thing.

Holden told My Husband that he "didn't want to repeat her [India's] exact words," but that some disparaging things had been said about me and that India was angry and thought I was trying to show her up.

Surprisingly, I did not react very strongly to this development.  I'm regularly deflecting less-than-complimentary statements about how I'm perfect and get special treatment.  Last summer when My Husband's family set up a beach vacation for everyone, I asked if they could try and get a dog-friendly rental so I could bring Buoy.  Dorian called My Husband a few days later to harass him about how I was some kind of little princess who needed her dog with her 24/7. 

That's besides the fact that when My Husband and I were first dating, my first meeting with India ended with her getting drunk and asking My Husband why he'd rather spend time with "some whore" than with his own family.

Case in point, this is not the worse thing I've ever heard concerning my in-laws.

What really sucks is that I don't think India is ever going to really let me in...and frankly, I've never met a woman more in need of a sister then India.  My Husband and I are her best allies in the family (we both like her husband and support her marriage and her life in Chicago) and we're the guardians of her daughter should anything happen to them.

We were getting along so much better lately...that is, she hadn't said or done anything mean to me and I was starting to feel comfortable around her.  Now that's all blown.

And I know she's under a ton of pressure.  Her family judges her every move and regularly criticizes her choices.  I'm sure she's afraid My Husband's and my children will eclipse her daughter as the favorite Delaney babies.  And I bet she's pissed no matter how hard of a time I've had with them, I'm still here and making slow but steady progress.

But when I have a hard time, I deal.  When India has a hard time, she blames.  And I'm back to being her favorite target.

No comments:

Post a Comment