Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Idea for a TV Show

I think I have a good idea for a TV show.

I've really benefited from attending regular counselling sessions since I married my soldier...talking to someone helps deal with the realities of his job.  I know that, percentage wise, being in the army is not the most dangerous occupation in the United States (even in wartime).  It's commercial fishing. 

So sometimes I think about how family members of those Alaskan King Crab fishermen they show on the Discovery Channel would benefit from therapy, too.

So my pitch is this: a twenty-something woman has just completed her doctorate in psychology or therapy or whatever.  She returns from the big city to the teeny fishing village in the tundra where she grew up to set up a counselling practice.  Except no one wants to go see her because A) they feel betrayed she left to go to the city for schooling and B) grief counselling is considered a weakness and people think they'll be ostracized for attending her sessions.  I think I'll call her...Simone.  Dr. Simone Dylan.

Of course we'll need her family...her rough-and-tumble sea captain dad (who's torn between pride and embarassment about her behavior), an older brother who's his spitting image, a mother who keeps the peace at a great cost to her self and a little sister married to a fisherman who's angry our protagonist has dared to make a different life for herself.  Add in an old high school boyfriend who continues to call her by some slightly annoying pet name and maybe a few folks from a film crew that follows the fisherman around for a cable show and I think it's got potential.

So if you work for a cable network and you're skimming the Internet for new material to impress your bosses with...have your people call my people.

2 comments:

  1. Lol! This is a good satirical post, at least I think you are being satirical...

    I hope you are well, thanks for stopping by my blog... I was wondering if it possible for me to use a quote you mentioned on my blog "Mother's love is peace. It need not acquired, it need not be deserved." by the psychologist and philosopher Erich Fromm. I think its a lovely quote and would thank you for the suggestion in my post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! Please do use that quote :)

    ReplyDelete