Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dave Matthews: Double-Threat

I really enjoy Dave Matthews as an actor.
Generally I'm a stickler for "artists" of any kind staying within their parameters...I don't like it when actors release CDs (exceptions...Zooey Deschanel) or singers try to act.  You'd think because I love musicals from the 1940s and 50s I'd appreciate the attempts of modern celebrities to be double or triple-threats, but I find most just don't have the talent to pull it off.

Lindsay Lohan can actually act, but her forays into singing were ill-advised.  I feel the same way about Gwyneth Paltrow.  Justin Timberlake is really funny and I'd love to see him as a cast member on Saturday Night Live, but I'm not convinced he can hold a whole feature film on his own.  And I don't watch Glee, but I know the main guy on that show has some real singing and acting chops.

I'm on the fence about Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Lopez.  I enjoy J-Lo's pop songs and her foray into romantic comedies, and I think she's the only person who could have starred in Selena back in the day.  Obviously Jamie Foxx is an Oscar winner and he can actually carry a tune.

But I love every single one of Dave Matthews' parts on TV and in films plus he is an exceptional singer/songwriter.  I wonder if that's the thing...if a person has legitimate MUSICAL talent (ie instruments, scales, the whole shebang) then they also have legitimate acting talent.  Maybe it's a right brain thing.  Then people who have kind of mediocre "musical" talent...pop stars, entertainers and the like, also have mediocre acting talents.

I'm talking to you, Britney.

No comments:

Post a Comment