Monday, July 25, 2011

Walt Disney World

My Husband and I took advantage of his two week leave by spending a postponed honeymoon in Disney World®, Florida.  We got married in July 2009 and headed right for the army base...he was deployed a few weeks later.  So now, after two years of marriage we spent almost a week in the Happiest Place on Earth.

Disney World® is my happy place.  My family is a Disney family...no Nickelodeon or Japanese cartoons for us.  My childhood was brimming with bits of Mickey Mouse...celebrating "unbirthdays" (Alice in Wonderland), Grandma handing out treats from Mary Poppins' carpet bag, singing Zip-a-dee-doo-da (Song of the South).  We've been lucky enough to head to Florida at least 10 times.  My Husband, though, had never been.

Doc (my therapist) told me not to get my hopes up that My Husband would fall in love with Disney World® the way I have, as it's not everyone's spinning cup of tea.  But he seemed to really have fun...he enjoyed the rides, the food and was patient with me as I went over every instant of our day after heading back to the hotel.  Of course I had everything planned out...from the transportation to/from the airport to dinner reservations every night.  Frankly I'm pleased to know I can plan a successful Disney vacation.

My Husband will probably never love it more than he loves the Shore, but I think I made a nice dent in his perception of it.

My sisters were here in the Midwest taking care of Buoy while we were gone.  From what I gleaned from Chloë (who is the queen of personal secrets), she is planning a wedding with her longtime boyfriend John.  They've already discussed using my grandmother's 50th wedding anniversary solitaire diamond necklace (willed to Chloë on my grandmother's death) as the diamond for their engagement ring.
This is very good news...John is slightly ADD and has a pretty erratic emotional temperament, and getting him to sit down and plan a wedding must be a nightmare.  He loves Chloë and wants to marry her, but he's the kind of no-details person who'd wake up one morning and say, "Let's get hitched," without a thought as to how much planning has to go into a ceremony and reception.

My job as future maid (matron, actually) of honor (Sarah was mine, I'll be Chloë's and Chloë will be Sarah's) is to make this as painless as possible for all involved and to run herd on John's future sister-in-law.  John has a twin brother, Joe, who's engaged to one of Chloë's best friends from high school, Suellen.  Suellen is petty, passive-aggressive and HATES when someone else is the center of attention, and as Chloë is decent and can't find a way to keep her out of her wedding party without hurting her feelings I'm gonna handle all her nonsense.  And there will be nonsense.  Luckily for me, I've been in the center of girl-world all my life and no one can manipulate a woman with the attitude of a high school snob like I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment