Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Vent Central

I'm taking a little time for myself to vent about some recent technological issues.

First: Cox Communications

The only reason we signed up for Cox Cable is because there were no other cable providers servicing our area.  We had to.  AT&T is starting to get its tentacles in around here, but unless you want satellite (yeah right...I can see our dish flying away in the latest windstorm now...) Cox is your only option.

We have phone, Internet and special HD service (since they stopped offering HD with their basic cable package and demanded you upgrade in order to keep it last year).  For some reason, our universal remote does everything except change the INPUT setting on the TV.  So in order to switch the Source Setting (Video for DVD, Component 1 for the Wii, etc.) you have to press the INPUT button on the television.  The input button DOES work on the old Insignia remote, which I'm glad now I didn't toss.

Anyway, I contacted Cox's Live Agent Chat to deal with the problem.  Some guy named Leo came on after about 10 minutes and after I explained my issue, told me to reset the setup codes for both the TV and the Cable Box.  When I couldn't find the setup code for the cable box he sent me four links to the Cox website to "help" me locate it.  Then, before I could type that I'd found the right code and I was still having a problem, he sent me some kind of standard "Thanks for choosing Cox" bullshit and logged off the session!

I think that is the equivalent to a telephone operator hanging up on me mid sentence, and I told Cox so on the email I sent immediately afterward.  What the Hell?  The only reasons I used the Stupid Live Chat are 1) I'm decently computer-savvy and I'd rather save the telephone help for people who need it and 2) The issue seems relatively simple and not worth wasting some poor repairman's time to fix.

And of course I feel incredibly stupid because I can't get a lousy button on my remote to work.

Second: Verizon Wireless

Besides that, Verizon ended its $29.99 per month unlimited data plan.  Now, I've been seriously considering signing up for that since I'd love to be able to check my email from my phone like everyone else does, but spending $1 per day for 2GB of data with a $1 per GB overcharge after that is ridiculous!

My Husband and I have been with Verizon for 7 years now and I'm slightly wary of breaking up with them.  We're both due for a phone upgrade but there's like, no choice in handsets unless you get a data plan.  And of course I'm the one who has to deal with all these issues since My Husband is 100% hands off when it comes to household details.

These are the times I want to say "Fuck it," go completely off the grid and do nothing but read books and raise alfalfa in the Montana wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment