Friday, July 8, 2011

Modern Communication

I'm blogging and on hold with Cox Cable at the same time.  Multitasking, thy name is Lark.

I'm on the phone because my second foray into OnlineTechSupport Chat was futile just as the first was, although much less rude.  The woman on the other end reset my whole cable box, but to no avail.  The INPUT button still doesn't work, and now the ON DEMAND button has stopped working, too.  Really all I want from this conversation is a repair guy to come here and give me a new remote.  I've been on 10 minutes so far, let's see how this goes.

Anyway, since we're talking about communication...

Remember that wedding My Husband and I went to, the one with his best friend from college?  And his dad has cancer and his brother spewed his personal hatred of the bride all over me pre-ceremony?  According to Facebook, they're (the bride and groom, not the dad or the brother) pregnant.

When did it become OK to announce major events...IE engagements, pregnancies, etc...over the Internet without first attempting to call all your friends?  When My Husband proposed, I called all my closest friends, my sisters and my parents.  All the engagements that have happened since, I've gotten no phone calls.  Not even from the girls I called personally.  Not a fan.

And my poor Husband, this is the second time this has happened to him...where a close friend is having a baby and he finds out through Facebook.  Not even a personal Facebook message, mind you...just a random announcement for all to see.  Doesn't that cheapen the event a little, that you can't even pick up the damn phone?  Or am I some kind of anti-Internet fuddy duddy?

Does it reiterate the fuddy duddy idea if I've now been on hold for 20 minutes?  I feel pretty geriatric about it.

Anyway, I was always under the impression Facebook and Twitter were supposed to accent one's life, not take it over.  It's like the Internet has become everyone 'smouth instead of their eyes and ears to a larger world.  We're all connected now...so why do I feel so cut off?





*In case you were wondering, I did get my tech support appointment (29 minutes and 42 seconds after beginning this post).

No comments:

Post a Comment