Thursday, September 15, 2011

Due Date

Today is September 15; that means my baby is due in exactly 7 months.  Granted, I'm not looking at April 15 as my "have baby or bust" date...due dates are merely a doctor/parent attempt to gain some control over a pretty uncontrollable situation.  Still, it's a good ballpark to have.

I think April is a nice time to have a baby.  It feels mammalian...having my baby in the spring so it has the whole summer and fall to grow and survive it's first winter.  Like a squirrel.

Plus an April baby means a first Halloween at 6 months (think of the adorable costumes!) and a first Christmas at 9 months (Christmas outfits and all sorts of crawling around under the tree!).

It's probably very un-parentlike of me, but I'm really looking forward to when my baby does more than sleep, eat, cry and poop.  You know, around the 3 month mark when he can smile and bounce around a little and not look like a wrinkly potato you scrubbed too hard in hot water.

I like babies as a rule.  But everything I've seen of newborns, they appear pretty nonreactive.  And teeny.  I'm looking forward to a baby with a little more oomph to him.

I can't tell if I'm showing or if I'm just fat.  Or bloated or some other symptom of pregnancy women don't mention as they float, Virgin Mary-like, through their term.  I have a belly and my pants don't fit.  But with a baby only an inch long, how much of that is him?  Not much.  I guess I'm just fat.

Someday the first trimester will be over and I will be able to eat the food I want without throwing it up and spend half an hour listening to my music on a treadmill without fainting dead away.  Maybe then I'll feel less beefy and more babyish.

No comments:

Post a Comment